On 5/5/2010 6:08 AM, Igor Roshchin wrote:

Larry,

In my opinion, in these sets (as in many other photos that I see
from dance events), - the two main problems are:
1. composition and
2. choosing what to keep.

A simple example of what I mean in 1.:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=167122&id=746308024&l=800a4bd0ca#!/photo.php?pid=3933831&id=746308024&l=800a4bd0ca
(Just people's backs)

Here is yet another one:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=47009&id=1587681869#!/photo.php?pid=821721&id=1587681869
It's a poor way to frame a shot.

"Let's try to catch as many people in one shot as possible":
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=207643&id=653299672&l=7dd07b367e#!/photo.php?pid=5228369&id=653299672

These three represent what is typical.

"2." can help with all of these problems, but I am guilty on that count
myself. :-)

Sorry for being rather critical here (there are a few good shots in
all 3 sets), - it's just I keep being surprised (and annoyed) why
people don't do simple things that are much more simple (technically/
instrumentally) then shooting in low ISO, etc.

I completely agree with you. I do actually try to go through and edit the photos. I usually try to do a much better job than I did here, but I'm swamped for time getting ready for the trip, and wanted to get the pictures up on facebook, so I stopped the editing process a pass or so early (and was still way short on sleep Sunday night).

I also edit things differently for facebook and for flickr. On facebook, I treat them as snapshots, and they may be the only shot someone has of them dancing, or of them dancing at that event. The photographic quality of pictures that people will choose for their profile picture is often rather apalling, but they aren't looking for a great photograph, they're looking for a great shot of themselves.

In cases where I post sets to both fb and flickr, you'll often see a 60 shot set on fb pared down to half a dozen on flickr.

Pretty much the only reason I posted these here is because it is an interesting comparison of three different systems shooting at the same somewhat technically challenging event. It's also not really a fair comparison because in this sort of situation the skill of the photographer counts for a lot. I also missed out on a lot of shots because sometimes its more fun to dance with a pretty girl than to photograph someone else dancing with a pretty girl.

I find it interesting that at the end of the night, we were all shooting with our "nifty fifties".

Cheers,

Igor