I'm satisfied with the quality of prints I can get at Costco, though if I were willing to spend the time to do multiple tests, optimize paper for the shot etc, I could probably get slightly better quality doing it at home.

However, now that I've started printing my shots, I'm spending a fair amount of money each month on printing. Even so, I suspect that by the time I count up wasted ink, wasted paper, and the cost of a good printer, it's probably significantly cheaper to get them printed at Costco.

What would it cost for a printer that'll do 8x12, or 12x16 at the same or better quality as the big machines they have there?

By the time you count the cost of wasted ink, paper etc. what do you end up paying per 4x6, 8x12 and 12x16 print?
Or alternatively, what would it cost for 50 8x12s and 100 4x6 per month?

In comparison, Costco prices, before tax are:
$0.13  4x6
$1.50  8x12
$3.00 12x16