Hi Doug,

> Well, if I can realistically expect to afford a completely custom home,
> it means the Lottery Fairy visited and price is, practically, not
> really
> an object.  So, if I'm gonna dream, I'm gonna dream big. :-)
>
> Anyway, I'm more about the land than the house.  If price is no object,
> I'm going to build a pretty modest house in the middle of a property as
> large as I can afford.  There are limits, afterall.  But I could easily
> envision living in a 300 or 400 m^2 (3-4000 ft^2) house on thousands of
> acres of land.

My ambitions are far more modest, but even so, would require said Lottery
Fairy - I suppose entering would be a help.

> Yeah, wasted space is one of my pet peeves.  A boatload of new
> relatively high-end housing was built around my area in the run up to
> the bursting of the mortgage bubble.  A lot of them are sitting empty,
> so I go around and look at the ones that aren't locked up.  I've gotta
> tell you, the vast majority of them are aesthetic nightmares, for a
> huge
> number of reasons including wasted space and rooms apparently designed
> with the specific purpose of making it impossible to place furniture
> without blocking doors or traffic flows.

It seems a similar problem both sides of the pond; again, one of the reasons
I gave up looking and extended here. It's all a compromise though and by
going up, I've added another flight of stairs which as I get older will be a
real pain.

To get this back into photography, I will take some photos next time I go
past the development.

Malcolm