Doug Brewer wrote:
Bruce Dayton wrote:
Probably great foolishness on my part to submit a PESO amidst all
this discussion of good/bad photos and what is art - I'm guessing
that some will like and some will dislike this...but what the heck.
I have a thick skin - at least in some places...

Pentax K20D, Sigma 100-300/4 EX @ 300mm
ISO 100, 1/250 sec @ f/8

http://www.daytonphoto.com/PAW/bkdphoto_00384.htm

OK, I wondered who would be the first to mention this. Good job, Bruce.

I'm clearly in the less popular, "experimental" camp, and from where I'm sitting the majority prefers to think that "pretty" is the proper, acceptable form of photography to be appreciated on the PDML.

Let's not let this happen. One of the strengths of the PDML over its history is an acceptance of whatever each photographer is trying to do, and I hope we don't go the way of too many clubs and communities, where all the photographs end up looking the same.

Even if we don't care for a style or school of photography, it is required of us all to respect the other photographers and judge each submitted image in its own context. I don't care if Eggleston himself tosses us a link and you hate everything he does; you comment on whether that particular image works or doesn't work, if you care to comment at all, with the care and courtesy you expect when you post your own photos.

At the same time, I will, and I will expect others to do the same, fight unto death for your right to follow whatever photographic trail you wish to tread. I know I said earlier that Eggleston's work touches me more than flower photos do. That doesn't mean I don't like flower photos; I always enjoy a good one. I'm just at a point in my viewing life that "interesting" holds my interest a bit more.

If you love flower/cat/puppy/sunset photography, then by golly do it, and do it as well as you can, and push yourself to do it even better. Be proud of what you do, and as you grow we will all applaud you. Whatever your subject, do it to the best of your abilities.

But remember as well that there are photographers on the list who do shoot other things, in other styles, and they deserve the same encouragement, the same respect. The fact that most of us shoot with Pentax doesn't mean we all have the same subjects or methods for expressing/describing those subjects.

I'm not saying you can't have your preferences or your opinions. You certainly can. But let's not let the volume of your bias drown out the other voices.

Bruce, that's a heck of a photo. I've always admired your light sense.

Doug

Hi Doug,

I get the feeling there are unusually more silent appreciators than commentors on this list than most web forums. For me, I tend not to comment unless it's more than "I like", but I do enjoy looking at PDML GESOs and PESOs than a typical trawl through the morass that is Flickr.

I like your new posterous

(and I always like Bruce's light sense)

der...@iinet.net.au
http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc