G'day Frank

On Sun, 16 May 2010 08:03 -0400, "frank theriault"
<knarftheria...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Or more specifically the sensor in my *istD.
>
> Is this a do-at-home project or something best left to professionals?
>
> If I can do it myself, how?
>
> If I take it to a shop, what's a reasonable price?

I've cleaned the sensor in my *istDS several times without any
disasters.  Building up the courage to do it is the biggest hurdle.

I use a three step approach:

1. The bulb blower.  If that doesn't clean the sensor satisfactorily, I
move on to:

2. An artists nylon brush.  And if further cleaning is needed:

3. The wet swab.  For this step I use a home made spatula about the same
width as the height of the sensor, covered with a PecPad and with a
couple of drops of Eclipse cleaning fluid applied.

A couple of references, if you decide to take the plunge:

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html

Interestingly, I've so far not needed to clean the sensor on my K200D -
the few dust spots that appear are easily cloned out in post processing.
 It seems that the dust remove function of the K200D actually works
reasonably well.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters