frank theriault wrote:
> Subject: Cleaning Sensors
>
> Or more specifically the sensor in my *istD.
>
> Is this a do-at-home project or something best left to professionals?
>
> If I can do it myself, how?
>
> If I take it to a shop, what's a reasonable price?
>
> Thanks!
>
> cheers,
> frank
Frank, My *istD was very susceptible to dust and I cleaned it 3 or 4 times.
The 10D and K7 don't seem to gather dust (perhaps the shaker option works
well?) and I've cleaned them both once. I find I've had to do all of the
following each time:

1. Use the sensor shaker (I can't remember whether the *istD hasn't got this
as it may be a by-product of shake reduction)
2. Use a blower
3. I've got an Arctic Butterfly from http://www.visibledust.com/ and I use
this next
4. Wet clean with a spatula covered with a Pec Pad and a few drops of
Eclipse cleaning fluid.

The first 3 steps are non-intrusive and if they work are best, but they've
never got rid of every spec for me. You need a good nerve to use the wet
cleaning system for the first time, but I've found it to be simple and gives
the best results. You will need to judge for yourself of course. I got mine
from these guys:
http://www.copperhillimages.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=3&=SID#
MOREINFO
http://tinyurl.com/3x4qhk2

and there's a tutorial here:
http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials1
http://tinyurl.com/3axkmpo

I had to buy the Eclipse fluid separately in the UK as it can't be shipped
overseas.

Chris