> Handlebar bag.  I'm a big fan of Lone Peak bags - made in the
> US, relatively affordable, and IMHO quite durable.
> http://lonepeakpacks.com/ and
> <http://thetouringstore.com/LONE%20PEAK/LP%20H-bar%20Packs/H10
> 0%20H-BAR%20PACK%20PAGE.htm>
>  The Lone Peak bags are basically empty boxes.  You'd
> probably want to add some sort of padding to keep your gear
> from knocking around.
>
> If you're willing to spend a few bucks more, there are some
> other handlebar bags that can be fitted specifically for
> camera storage.
> e.g. Ortlieb offers a "camera insert" for their bags.

I think the problem with that approach is that it leaves you without a
camera bag when you're not on your bag. My approach for a very long tour
(many weeks, even months), if I ever get to do one, would be to put a robust
basket on the front of the bike and put a camera bag in it, attached with
carabiners.

Bob