From: Christine Nielsen
Hi all,

Since it's never too early to start planning my next gear purchase,
I've started obsessing on how I will outfit myself for our vacation in
August...

Our trip will include 4 days of tandem touring around Durango,
Colorado.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to bring my camera
along.  It will be a somewhat minimalist kit -- my k7, plus a lens or
two... no tripod, no ginormous zooms.  A backpack is one option, but
I'm curious about handlebar bags and/or panniers... I know there are
some cycle enthusiasts out there -- any thoughts?

Don't have any answers for you on the equipment side, but if you want to photograph the Durango & Silverton Railroad while you're in the area, I can suggest a couple of good spots. Just plug the numbers into Google Maps search and it will show you where they are.

37.490801,-107.804923
This one is good for the morning leg outbound. Both trains stop at Rockwood Station about 500 ft east of here. This is a good spot to catch the engine as it comes out of a deep cut.

37.788635,-107.668571
There is a closed down mine at the end of Co Rd 31. If you stay away from the buildings and equipment, no one should fuss at you. Gives a good view of a low trestle the trains will be crossing in the afternoon/evening heading back to Durango. You can get right up to the edge of the trestle, and if you don't mind COLD water, you can wade across the stream and get good shots of the approach.

Don't know how bicycle friendly the trip from Durango to Silverton is, it climbs from about 6500 ft at Durango to 10400 at Coal Bank Pass.