From: "Daniel J. Matyola"
That would be a moonbow.

Dan

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Bob Sullivan <rf.sulli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bruce,
> I've never seen a nighttime rainbow...

Possible.

Lower Yosemite Falls produces them. Also Cumberland Falls State Resort in Kentucky, Luna Island at Niagara Falls State Park and Waimea on Hawaii's Big Island.

Info on-line says the color doesn't show up to the naked eye. The color is too faint to activate the color cones so it just appears as a white bow, but long exposures will reveal the colors.

No reason why mist from that spillway couldn't produce one if the alignment was right.

According to Wikipedia, Durham, North Carolina is another "Famous natural moonbow location". I grew up there and can't for the life of me figure out where in Durham it would be?

Google doesn't help. Every hit that refers to Durham being a location to observe moonbows refers back to the Wikipedia article sooner or later.

I'll have to look around a bit next time I head over there.