On May 21, 2010, at 8:29 PM, Bruce Dayton wrote:

> Very nicely done, Paul.  Care to elaborate on your technique at all?

Sure. The car was parked on a road in front of some trees. I shot it with the
DA*60-250 at f5.6, 1/250th, with a B&W circular polarizer on the lens, adjusted
to eliminate most reflections in the sheetmetal. After converting it, I
outlined the car with the pen tool, then selected it with a 2 pixel feather. I
inverted the selection and applied a motion blur to the background. Then I
retouched any edges where I saw any artifacts from the selection process. I
also had to eliminate some ghosting in front of the car. The PhotoShop tool
seems to ghost a bit fore and aft. Once I was happy with the basic background
blur, I selected the areas that could be seen through the windows and blurred
them the same amount. Next, I did the reflections in the windshield, changing
the direction of the motion blur to conform to the slant of the gas. I did
something similar to the reflections in the roof. Finally, I selected the shape
of each tire with the pen tool and applied a radial blur.

Voila! High-speed pan.

The main giveaway is the the reflections in the car. They should be a little
soft on the edges. But I like the way they look well defined. It's all fantasy
in any case, so a better fantasy is a better option.

Could I shoot it this well? It would be tough to get that much background blur
in a useable exposure. The best way to do it for real would be in reduced light
at twilight with flash to help freeze the car.

Paul