Rob,

I believe it's also a legal offense here to leave kids locked in the car.

In any case, leaving kids unattended in a car is dangerous.
One of our neighbors (across the street) had an incident.
She put her kids in the car and started it on her driveway.
Then, she ran back into the house for something she forgot.
One of her pre-school boys got the car into reverse and
backed across the street and into the neighbor's house.
And I'll bet we see 2K to 5K cars a day on the street!

Regards,  Bob S.