>On 01/06/2010 2:36 AM, Cotty wrote:
>>
>> Would you like to hazard a guess what the outcome might have been if you
>> were aboard a boat full of professional photographers ? (By this I mean
>> people whose main source of income is from their photography.)
>

>On 1/6/10, William Robb, discombobulated, unleashed:

>I bet it would be more or less the same.

I seriously doubt it.

In my experience, those who make a living from the tools they use make
it a point to understand them and ensure they keep working, be that
cameras, lenses or computers. In this respect, it will be the same for
PC users and Mac users. I regularly keep company with stills
photographers (most use Macs here in the UK in my experience) and they
know about their hardware and software enough to keep themselves up and
running unless it's a catastrophic failure.

Just like they would in the days before computers - they would know what
goes on in the film just as well, but perhaps not well enough to start
fixing one of those humungous automated processing machines.

My point is that Jostein's sample users in the south Atlantic appears to
me to be only indicative of a bunch of people on a photo trip to the
south atlantic, with few full-time professional photographers on board.
Using a computer, be it a Mac or a PC is part and parcel of the trade
these days and any pro snapper who doesn't understand them to at least
an intermediate level isn't going to be making much money from his or
her craft!

.02

--

Cheers,