On 2010-06-01 22:48 , P. J. Alling wrote:
Some file systems don't use extensions, they associate programs and data
using other methods. I don't know how Apple did it in the pre OS-X days,
(I didn't care enough to actually learn), but Now I assume they use the
Unix conventions.

Mac OS X has several factors that control what application opens a file you double-click; until Mac OS X 10.6, the first choice was the same system as on Mac OS 9 and prior, a code embedded in the file metadata; other factors include the filename extension, the same system Windows uses; in 10.6 Apple broke a lot of sophisticated workflows by relying primarily on filename extension; like Windows, Mac OS X hides extensions by default