On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/10/2010 2:07 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>>
>> I don't see it that way. I see it as using the tools given what they
>> can do and what I need to get done, without the presumption that the
>> tools are somehow deficient.
>
> I humbly disagree again, Godfrey. I never meant that LR as it is now was
> deficient. I even indicated mere lack of _convenience_ feature.
>
> To give you a simple example, the fact that my car does not have all wheel
> drive does not make it deficient, but it also means that I have be careful
> when choosing if and when I might go off-road. And having such a car and
> planning to have the next one with all wheel drive is not presumptuous in
> any way.

The fact that you mentioned what I wrote about as a 'work around'
solution implies the presumption that you felt there to be a
deficiency.

Your analogy isn't particularly apt in the way you put it. How to make
it more apt: The fact that your car isn't equipped with four wheel
drive doesn't mean you can't drive it off-road. It means that it will
not have the traction of a four wheel drive equipped vehicle in some
circumstances, and that when you drive it off road you have to be
aware of that fact and adjust your driving appropriately. This is not
a lack of a 'convenience feature' or a work around, it's the lack of a
particular capability which requires that you act differently when
presented with a situation that might utilize that capability
effectively.

That is an analogous situation to the fact that Lightroom does not
include the ability to interact with multiple independent database
files simultaneously: when faced with the notion of working with
original file repositories of a larger scope than might be sensible to
have in a single database all the time, you need to work differently
compared to how you might work if LR supported managing multiple
database files simultaneously.

To debate the point further is to natter on into semantics, not
photography ...  ;-)

Suffice it to say Lightroom doesn't have this capability at present
and adjust how you work with it to suit what it does do.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com