Eric and Bruce,
I never had much of a problem with the *ist Ds and continuous shooting.
My first experience was with some nesting tree swallows, and
I'd get 6 or 7 shots in a burst before the buffer filled and I had to wait.
(see here)
http://picasaweb.google.com/rf.sullivan/NestingTreeSwallows#

They were probably jpeg files, not DNG's, but that's a good option,
and a faster write to the card.
Regards,  Bob S.