I have had my DL for about 4 years and (if my file numbering is correct) over 10K photos (but that does seem a lot) I have been very happy with it, admittedly this is my only DSLR but I really don't have any complaints.

Ecke,
On the IR front, can I ask why you crossed out the DL? IME it is very sensitive to IR, with a standard R72 filter on the kit 3.5-5.6 lens I can comfortably hand hold even on a fairly overcast day...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rileyelf/4038560732/
or
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rileyelf/2227329494/

HTH