2010/6/25 Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net>:

> When I'm even half-way consistent at plunking around on the guitar, and begin
> to get a feel for what even a modest level of mastery feels like, there's a
> lot of satisfaction. Hard to choose between them. Both require initiative and
> effort. The guitar's always around. Photography -- for me -- would require
> that I get out of the house. But then I love the outdoors. Photography could
> be the occasion. And get me into places I might not otherwise go -- like a
> wetlands and a state park here in metro Atlanta that apparently are great for
> birds, other wildlife, and flowers.

Music plays a huge role in my life. It serves as an indicator of how I
feel. The less music I listen to, the less I have left in me. Right
now I listen to practically none. I've been having the same six
meaningless CDs in the changer in my car since April. Much by the same
token, the better I feel, the more creative I feel and I like to
listen to music when I pack my kit and sometimes also when I use it. I
can imagine it means much to you, too. Surely you will keep "plunking"
as you say if you get a DSLR?

> I took lessons for about six months once. I'm able to learn -- up to a point
> -- on my own. Progress would be quicker with lessons, and help me get over
> critical humps. Realistically, unless i was to go really overboard on photo
> equipment, probably about the same.

I have to let that stand as I have zero musical talent. I am only good
at knowing what I like to listen to. And sometimes to a point to
explain why.

> I'm almost 70. In good health so far, and good genes in that respect, as
> well. Might have another 15 to 20 years. But at this point you realize
> there's only so much you can fit it. There are a lot of things. They're not
> all possible. Don't know whether photography would be "one more thing" or an
> enhancement of one or more selected others.

It sounds to me actually like an enhancement with a life of its own -
you will do some of it for your own sake, some of it to document other
things that you do and in turn some of what you see when you document
will change the way you look at what you do and ultimately how you do
it. I think a guitar can only give you some of that if you regularly
practice in a group/buddy/friend context

I don't know if any of the above helps but I know I would choose
photography again any day even though I consider myself at best very
modestly gifted. However, Gore Vidal called photography the art form
of the untalented. So there =)

Cheers
Ecke