In my part of the world house sparrows populations are declining. The
reasons is not enough nesting places. Our house sparrows like to build
nest under old roof tiles and other parts of old building. New
buildings don't offer any nesting opportunities and now you can buy
special roof tiles for house sparrow nests.
The dutch people love their house sparrows!

Toine