On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2010, at 10:21 PM, Adam Maas wrote:
>
>> Note you'll want the kit zoom, the sensor in the DSLR's is smaller
>> than a 35mm frame so you're 50mm has the field of view of a 75mm on
>> 35mm, a 30-35mm lens is now normal. Pentax's little 18-55 is a pretty
>> good little lens for the money.
>
> Actually, that was on the "Prayer Service at St. Michaels" thread, but since
> my decision to go with a *ist DS I've been communicating with the list
> through that thread, I changed the subject heading.
>
> Do I understand correctly that when using lenses designed for the 35mm frame
> the field of view through the viewfinder, and not just in the recorded image,
> will be 1.5 times what it would be on a film camera?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric Weir

Using any lens on the *istDS will give you an image that has a field
of view equivalent to a lens 1.5x longer on 35mm film.

A 50mm lens on the DS will have the same field of view as a 75mm lens
on a 35mm camera.

Focal length is a physical property of the lens. A 50mm lens designed
for 6x6, one designed for 35mm and one designed for 1.5x crop digital
will all have exactly the same field of view when shot with the same
camera.

Note that depth of field and other properties of the lens do not
change, only the field of view does as you are taking a crop out of
the centre of the 35mm frame the lens was designed for.

-Adam