> Why does exposure supposedly change when filtering for VC papers and it
> doesn't
> change with VC head? Does it really change?

Frantisek,
It changes with the Saunders enlargers because they have ND filters that
change as you change the filtration.

The way the Saunders dichro-type enlargers work is that inside the head you
have a quartz bulb (like a slide projector bulb) firing sideways through a
hole into a large light-mixing box lined with white material similar to
styrofoam that has a translucent white plastic diffuser panel on the bottom
(above the negative). At the hole through which the light passes, there are
three glass filters on a complicated mechanism that causes each one to cover
more or less of the hole as you dial the VC filtration dial. With minimal
magenta or yellow filtration, the ND filter covers more of the hole; as you
add colored filtration, the ND filter gradually moves aside. It's all
carefully calibrated, of course. It really works well and it's an absolute
pleasure to use.

I do agree that using an enlarger meter is a good way to get to a "first
print" very efficiently. For those in the U.S. and Europe, JOBO makes a good
one. I never use mine, however, because after all these years I can simply
look at a negative and get to a decent workprint on the first try without
using the meter.

--Mike

* * *
"You never know when the shot of a lifetime will appear before you. You do
have a say in what kind of film is in your camera when it happens."
(Mark Roberts)

* * *
Find out about Mike Johnston's unique photography newsletter, "The 37th
Frame," at http://www.37thframe.com.