On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 02:25:51PM -0400, Daniel J. Matyola scripsit:
> If we say that the Queen is superior by reason of birth and has rights
> that can't be taken away,

No one says any such thing.

The Queen is the Queen by right of Parliament, _not_ right of birth.
(This is, for instance, why there is such a thing as the Succession
Act, or why it's widely acknowledged -- since Parliament has done it,
twice and a half (Headless Chuck, James the Fled, and Edward the
Abbreviated) -- that the elected Parliament can replace the monarch,
or, for that matter, why Her Majesty has publicly stated that if she's
presented with an act converting the UK into a republic, she'll sign
it.)

Supremacy of Parliament is a very real thing.

Which is not to say I'm not -- being of a somewhat egalitarian bent --
in favour of both a stronger monarchy and a selective one in Canada,
rather than one with the current hereditary succession, but the idea
that the English Monarchy came down on the side of Divine Right is
really laughable.

-- Graydon