I'm sorry to hear about your luck, John.  My son's bike was stolen in
December from his high school... it was literally his prized
possession and the whole experience was a heartbreaker.  Thinking
about it still makes me reach for the ice cream...

We did all the things you mentioned on your list, in addition to
contacting local bike shops in our area to give them a description of
the bike & let the know that it was "lost."  We also offered a reward
for its return, and included that information in the craigslist ad.

Good luck,
-c