paul stenquist wrote:
On Jul 5, 2010, at 4:51 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

On Jul 5, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Doug Brewer wrote:

Larry Colen wrote:
I did some family portraits yesterday, and am going through and sorting them
out.  After making a pass to throw out all the ones that aren't perfectly, or
even sufficiently in focus I wonder why I could buy a pocket camera, with a
dinky embedded processor that'll find people's faces and focus on them, but I
don't have something in lightroom to find people's faces and looking at edge
sharpness (eyes, hair etc) rate how well focused that they are.
While I wouldn't want software to rate the artistic merits of a photo, software
that would rate and sort photos by various technical criteria (focus,
sharpness, exposure, ...)  would save me a lot of time in post processing.
Sure, there are pathologic cases where you're deliberately goofing with
sharpness or exposure, and there maybe some great photos that have some
technical flaw, but which are still great, but for most of what I do, it would
be a huge help.
Sorry, Larry, but a big part of being a photographer is learning how to edit.
A big part of being a photographer is knowing how to focus and set the exposure of your camera, how many pros do you think still shoot everything in full manual? I'm not looking for something that'll edit everything for me, I'm looking for something that'll speed up one of the most time consuming tasks, taking a pass through the photos, pixel peeping to see which ones really are sharp enough to blow up.
"Sharp" is a judgement call. No photo is perfectly sharp. And what might be
acceptably sharp for an action pic might not be acceptably shapt for a static, posed
photo. And that's just the beginning. You gotta make your own calls. Software can't do
that for you.
Paul

Paul said more nicely than I did.

Photography