Hi all,

This is my third attempt at joining the discussions on this mailing
list.  Now that I know it requires plain text formatting, with any
luck, this time my message will actually make it through.

By way of introduction, my name is Walt Gilbert, I bought my Pentax
K-x (my first new DSLR) on May 1 of this year, and I've fallen in love
with it.  My interest in photography started a little over a year ago,
when I borrowed my dad's Canon Powershot to take snapshots at a local
drag strip.  After being disappointed with my first point-and-shoot
(Nikon Coolpix S500) I decided I ought to get a DSLR and actually
learn how to use one.  So, back in November, I bought a used (but well
taken care of) Olympus E20n off eBay for a little over $100 plus
shipping -- great pictures, excruciatingly slow write speed.  Then, a
friend loaned me his Canon Rebel 300D, which I really enjoyed using.

But, of course, I felt I really needed to get a camera of my own, and
started doing some research to see what would be the best value for
the dollar, and the Pentax K-x was just beginning to generate some
buzz.  For several months, I anguished -- do I go with Canon, Nikon,
Olympus ... or do I dare go with the Pentax and break away from the
herd.  In the meantime, I picked up a second job to start socking away
a few dollars here and there while I mulled it over.  When the time
finally came, I settled on the K-x -- and even then, the guy at the
camera shop seemed to be steering me toward a Sony!

But, I stuck to my guns and went with the K-x with the 18-55mm and
50-200mm lens kit.  And I've been utterly happy ever since.  I LOVE my
Pentax.

All that said, I just thought I'd introduce myself and submit a photo
I took today for your approval/disapproval.  Any and all
comments/critiques welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walt_gilbert/4767841507/

K-x, Asahi Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm, Promaster Spectrum 7 - 2X
teleconverter, f/2.5, 1/800 sec., ISO 400

Thanks,

Walt Gilbert
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walt_gilbert/

P/S -- Thanks to Doug for the prompt reply to my query as to why I was
having trouble posting messages to the list.