Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

2010/7/8 Ann Sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com>:
When I had all the trouble with the USB ports we were testing one swithcing
stuff around -- after uninstalling and reinstalling various drivers
including the one for the Twain... I suddenly have lost the ability to
switch from flatbed scanning to slide scanning...
I was able to toggle back and forth easily but now the opening screen I get
does't let me do it...

"help" didnt help   I have a bunch of negs taken on my dear old LX'en (as
Caesar would say) that i need to scan...

Ann,

I have never used Epson's software other than for testing, TWAIN or
not, to drive any Epson scanner. To me, that's just junk software.

Never occured to me not to use what came on the disk with the scanner...
Thanks for all the info -- I'll check it out...
Of course, the way to get anything to function is to simply ask the list... and by the time someone answered -- it fixed itself... but I'll certainly look into vuescan thanks, much!

ann
I use Vuescan, which supports the Epson Perfection 1640su and works
very well. I've used Vuescan to drive Epson 2450, V700, Minolta Scan
Dual II, Polaroid SprintScan 35E/S and Nikon Coolcan IV ED (LS-40)
scanners. I've compared it against the Epson, Minolta, Nikon, Polaroid
OEM software and a couple of third party (SilverFast, Apple's Image
Capture, and a couple others I can no longer remember). It is without
a doubt the best scanning software I've used.

Here's an information page for Vuescan with this scanner:
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/epson_perfection_1640su.html

You can download Vuescan for evaluation from the home page:
http://www.hamrick.com

And there's a decent Users Guide available in PDF:
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.pdf

I don't work with a scanner unless Vuescan supports it nowadays.
That's my bottom line. ;-)