On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> My friend Beau and I are the photographers for an Aikido workshop this
> weekend in Santa Cruz.  I'm definitely stretching some of my skills shooting
> in another new environment.  Not trusting my timing or focus, I'm shooting a
> metric buttload (2.2 US buttloads) of photos. I've been too busy to really
> look at anything I've taken since Wednesday.
>
> One of the things that I've been doing is setting the K20 up in the high,
> back corner of the Santa Cruz Civic, on the interval timer, getting a shot
> every minute, or minute and a half. It shows the room filling up as people
> come in for class, and the dynamics of the room as people listen to the
> instructor, or practice technique. It is, however, quite frustrating that I
> can only shoot 99 frames on the interval timer.  To do a stop action movie,
> I'd much rather shoot them every 10 seconds or so, but if I want it to last a
> two hour class, I have to pull the time back to 90 seconds.  Likewise, for an
> hour class, I shoot once a minute to get some of the things going on before
> and after class.

Try an eBay interval remote. They're cheap, easy to find (K20D takes
the same remote as a Canon Rebel) and shouldn't have the 99 shot
limitation.

> I've also found that manually focusing my sigma 20/1.8 at those distances can
> be subtle and tricky.
>
> One thing that I've noticed is that Beau's D700 is hella loud. It makes the
> K-x seem whisper quiet in comparison.

I've yet to see a quiet FF DSLR. A pity since there were some _really_
quiet AF film SLR's (the Canon Elan 7's are ridiculously quiet)

> I have also been wishing that my 16-50 were 24-75 and just as fast.
>
> --
> Larry Colen l...@red4est.com sent from i4est

Tamron makes a great 28-75/2.8 that's reasonably cheap. Sigma makes 2
24-70's, one's cheap and the other is good.

-Adam