On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2010, at 4:02 PM, Doug Franklin wrote:
>
>> Lightroom is about portfolios and has photo editing/manipulation
>> capabilities.  Elements is about photo editing/manipulation and has (a very
>> few) portfolio capabilities.  At least that's /my/ take on it. :-)
>
> Thanks, Doug. That's helpful. And more like what I'm looking for.

I'm not entirely sure what Doug refers to as "portfolios capabilities".

Lightroom has image management capabilities, that is:

- it knows where the image files you've told it about are, both on
live and off-line volumes

- it allows you to add keywords and other metadata to annotate the
photos it is managing

- it has a great deal of search and browse capabilities (and again
that refers to photos on live and off-line volumes) as well as
facilities for sorting, grading, renaming, and organizing images to
speed workflow.

- it allows you to do the bulk of standard photographic editing
required to raw, JPEG, TIFF and PSD image files (crop, spot, tonal and
color adjustments, etc), all with the same UI on the same tool set,
non-destructively. It's editing capabilities stop short of anything
having to do with multiple image compositing (anything associated with
HDR or panorama compositing, for instance) or pixel-level editing
(actually changing specific individual pixel values of the original
files).

- it has well-integrated facilities to open images for editing in
Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, and other pixel-level image processing
applications when that level of functionality is required, all the
while keeping them organized within the Lightroom scope of operations.

- it provides four convenient and template-able output facilities ...
export, slide show, print and web ... to generate rendered versions of
your original files for use outside the Lightroom environment.

- it can be used to edit one photo at a time or an arbitrary number of
photos simultaneously, for both metadata or image rendering. The
presets and templates allow you to design development instructions,
export, slide show, printing and web gallery layouts once and then
apply them at any time to whatever photo or group of photos you
choose.

In sum, Lightroom is an image-management application with a great
depth of image processing services. Photoshop and similar applications
are image processing applications. Lightroom is designed to work
stand-alone and with other image processing applications to allow
construction of appropriate policies and operations suitable for a
complete photographic workflow.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com