Tue Jul 13 01:17:28 CDT 2010
Boris Liberman wrote:

> On 7/12/2010 9:14 PM, Igor Roshchin wrote:
> >
> > Jerry,
> >
> > Actually, soccer (along with tennis) is a sport where professional
> > athletes have the most balanced bodies
> > Most other sports feature (or favor) certain body disproportions to
> > various degrees.
> >
> > Arguably, that is what attracts many female viewers (for the men's
> > games).
> >
> > Igor
>
> Igor, could it be that you're confusing the general training that
> various athletes perform for their game? You see, I played tennis a lot
> when I was a student. Just for fun, really. Say, I played 2-4 times a
> week throughout several years, and each time it was between 1 and 2
> hours. I developed tennis elbow and my right hand (around the elbow
> area, for lack of proper term) became visibly bigger than the left one.
> If you consider the body movements of the game of tennis you will see
> that it is highly asymmetrical sport. Perhaps swimmers have more
> balanced bodies as it is said that swimming helps to offset the damage
> that tennis has on one's body.

Boris,

I haven't seen much of disproportion in tennis players.
It is reasonable that the leading hand is more developed and
the muscles are slightly bigger, - but they are not that big as
those of the american football players. ;-)
(BTW, "tennis elbow", albeit frequent, is a medical condition,
not a norm)

As for the professional swimmers, - they usually have extremely wide
shoulders.

Igor