On Jul 19, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2010, at 3:05 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>
>> Looked at your photos ... My one advice: get closer, frame tighter. :-)
>
> I couldn't exactly get up "on stage" with the band.  Though I could drop some
> of them tighter.
>>
>>> ... I'm curious if other people have this problem when manually focusing,
>>> and what they do to fix it. ..
>>
>> I see I'm not alone in my preference for plain matte fresnel focusing
>> screens. ;-)
>
> Interesting, because I found the screens that came with my Pentaxes nearly
> useless for manual focusing.
>

>> Microprism and split prism focusing aids are usually distractions in
>> SLR viewfinders, for me. I always changed my focusing screen to a
>> simple, matte fresnel screen (with horizontal/vertical reference lines
>> preferably) when possible. Longer lenses are easier to focus because
>> when wide open the in-focus zone is shallow; short lenses are where
>> focusing aids can help most. With any lens, good crisp contrast when
>> wide open is the biggest aid to manual focusing, regardless of
>> focusing screen, lens speed or focal length.
>
> That may be one reason I like my FA77 so much.
>

>> Beyond that, it's a matter of skill through lots of practice.
>
> I do try to practice, and to practice different techniques.

When I first decided to get serious about  photography, some forty years ago, a
local pro told me to practice focusing on various things in the room while I
was watching television. In a dim room, that was good practice. Even today,
when I get a new camera, I'll spend some time getting used to the focusing
screen. As I said earlier, I prefer a plain matte screen, although I do like
the horizontal and vertical lines that Godders mentioned. I'm using the
standard screens in my K20 and K7 now. No problem. I realize there are better
options, but they're expensive. If I started missing focus, I'd invest in an
ultra bright screen, but so far that hasn't been a problem.
Paul