On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> Interesting, because I found the screens that came with my Pentaxes nearly
> useless for manual focusing.

The standard Pentax DSLR screens are optimized for brightness, not
manual focusing contrast. I fitted my *ist DS with a customized Katz
Eye screen (no focusing aids) and it was much easier to focus with.

>> The EVF in the G1 is no exception, except that it makes nailing
>> critical manual focus even easier than any of the optical reflex
>> focusing systems I've used.
>
> Interestingly I found that manual focus on my FZ-50 to be nearly impossible
> to get right.

Comparing the FZ50 EVF to that of the G1 is like comparing a 9-inch
color television tube screen from 1976 with a modern 42" LCD flat
panel television display. Never mind that the FZ50's teensy little
chip makes for massive amounts of DoF anywhere but at pretty long
telephoto settings ... ]'-)

And with that said, I used to use the FZ10 with it's even lower
resolution EVF using manual focus quite a lot, and was pretty
successful at it. EG:

http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/IoM-4/PoA-lighthouse-0730usFR.jpg
Point of Ayre Lighthouse, Isle of Man
© 2004 by Godfrey DiGiorgi

Captured with Panasonic FZ10, tripod mounted
ISO 50 @ f/5.7 @ 1/800sec, f=24.8mm (4.1x, 145mm equiv 135)
AE-Program: compensation -0.3EV

Of course, I couldn't photograph birds in flight with it very well ...
the FZ10 EVF's refresh was so slow that most birds in flight simply
disappeared!
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com