On Jul 22, 2010, at 10:11 PM, Adam Maas wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 22, 2010, at 8:16 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>>
>>> I never use stuff like that. It makes it difficult to help other
>>> people when the basics of user experience in a system are changed.
>>
>> That's very generous of you, Godfrey. When I moved over from Windows I just
>> found the Finder to be counter-intuitive to my way of accessing and managing
>> files and folders, to the point of finding it extremely frustrating. But my
>> understanding is that it really is an enhanced Finder.
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Eric Weir
>
> Finder is quite awful as a filesystem navigation/file management tool,
> it remains inferior to the file management UI's on classic Mac OS, KDE
> and Gnome, BeOS and any vaguely recent version of Windows. While I can
> understand Godfrey's choice not to use a replacement as he needs to be
> familiar offhand with the basic Finder UI for professional reasons, I
> thoroughly understand why any user who doesn't need to walk others
> through basic file mangement steps would quickly move up to a Finder
> replacement.
>
> Unfortunately OS X seems to be stuck in the paradigm that pervasive
> search is an adequate replacement for a decent file manager.
> Coincidentally it's also the only major OS which has a steady market
> for replacements file management apps.

I'm surprised to read that. Perhaps it's all a matter of to what one has become
accustomed. I have hundreds of thousands of files organized in Finder, and I
can retrieve any of them in  moments. On the other hand, I have no idea of how
to find a single file on my daughter's PC. It's a mystery.

 But we certainly don't need another Mac/PC discussion. To each his own.
Paul