On Jul 27, 2010, at 1:16 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

I didn't think it was an argument, Boris. Just information.

Yes. And good information.

- Scanners which have IR-based dust and scratch reduction/removal
features can automate dust removal much more easily than DSLR capture
can, although the spotting tools in LR and the contextual-aware
cloning tools in PS CS5 go a long way to make it easier. It's a bit of
a toss up. Of course, the IR-based features don't work with non-C41
B&W films or Kodachrome 25 so well, if at all.

- I have not found capturing high quality images files from film with
a DSLR to be a significantly less time consuming process than
capturing with a high quality scanner. There's less time in the
capture process itself, of course, but more time spent preparing the
setup and focusing, and more time spent editing. The scanning capture
is tedious, for sure, and it seems that the DSLR gets through that
somewhat faster, but overall the total time required to get critical
quality work is pretty darn similar.

Paul :: it isn't clear whether you're referring to VueScan raw files
or VueScan's outputted DNG files. They're different. VueScan raw files
have extension .TIFF, where VueScan can create "raw" DNG files that
have extension .DNG.

I output from VueScan as DNG. I realize they're not really RAW in that VueScan adjustments modify them. The technical part of it all is beyond the limits of my knowledge.

The .DNG files it outputs are an encapsulation of TIFF RGB files and
are very editable in Camera Raw; they're not actually raw files at
all, simply a TIFF using the ability of DNG to encapsulate them and
provide more functionality. The raw .TIFF files are only editable in
Camera Raw if you have one of the latest versions of the Camera Raw
plugin and have the option to enable editing of TIFF files in Camera
Raw's preferences turned on.

I'm able to edit my DNG tagged Vuescan files in Camera Raw. In fact, they automatically open in Camera Raw when I save them, so I must have editing of TIFF turned on. I have the latest plug in for PSCS 4 installed.

Of course, being TIFFs, they are editable
in Lightroom or Photoshop without Camera Raw anyway.

I've done a lot of scanning since 1995 ... several thousand exposures
... with all kinds of workflows. I just recently finished doing proof
scans of my entire Minox film library, collating and annotating them
... over 1900 exposures. It's a chore. Nowadays, particularly for more
normal work in 35mm that needs scanning, I'm much happier if I have
more than a dozen frames to just send them to scancafe.com : they do
as good or better job as anyone and it saves me a lot of time and
effort. I concentrate my scanning efforts on unusual formats and
restoration work where I need total control of the process.

I have tens of thousands of negs I should scan, but the task is overwhelming, so I doubt that I ever will. But once in a while I roam through the negative files and pick out something interesting to scan. It's fun seeing 35 year old photos that I never printed. . And I still shoot with the Leica occasionally for grins. Should probably exercise the 6x7 one of these days as well.
Paul