On Jul 28, 2010, at 7:22 PM, frank theriault wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM, P N Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

>>> Wish I were there.  Sigh...
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> Of course I'd rather be taking the photo than killing innocent
>>> wildlife
>>
>> Innocent? Hardly. Fish are the handmaidens of the devil. They can only
>> redeem themselves by prostrating themselves before us on a plate.
>>
>>> <g,d&r>, but it's a wonderful photo of an idyllic scene.
>>> And, yeah, the exposure is amazing!
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> frank
>>>
>>> ps:  I know there are those who practice catch and release, but were I
>>> a fish I'd prefer going through life without a hole (or scar) on the
>>> side of my mouth.
>>
>> Seriously, the mouths of most fish are a bony construction backed by a thin
>> film that seems able to take a hook without significant damage. Since men
>> have been fishing with hooks for perhaps millions of years that my well be a
>> product of evolution. On the other hand, I don't really see the logic of
>> catch and release. To me, fishing purely for enjoyment is less acceptable on
>> a moral level than fishing for food. However, I have no deep problem either
>> way and have done both. Grace and I plan on hitting the one of the local
>> lakes again next week. We will probably catch only bluegills, thereby
>> helping to thin out an overpopulation.
>> Paul
>
> Well, I don't have as big a problem with fishing as with hunting.  I
> try ('though I sometimes fail) to be non-judgmental about people's
> choice to eat meat (including fish), and let's face it, if we eat it,
> we gotta kill it first.  Catching fish on a hook and line seems to me
> to be far less cruel than what goes on in most meat factories (and by
> that I include feedlots and abattoirs).
>
> So you and Grace go have fun!  I know we'll see photos.
>
> When I used to fish I never caught anything anyway, so it ended up
> being a nice day on a sunny lake in a boat.  That's why I prefer
> having a camera these days!
>
> ;-)
>
> cheers,
> frank

I usually prefer a camera as well. And when I took my kids fishing back in the
eighties, we rarely caught anything. (Although my oldest son and I caught two
big rainbow trout in Rocky Mountain National Park one year when I was there on
production. We had a condo, so I cooked them and we ate them. Spectacular.) But
last time out Grace and I caught and released about a dozen bluegills that were
just a bit too small for the table. She was thrilled. And all the bluegills
seemed to swim off as though nothing had happened.

I just wrote an article about crossbow hunting for the in-house magazine of a
major sports store. I found it depressing. All the literature on the web talks
about "the kill" and a "through shot," which means through the heart of the
deer. Kind of gross and extremely unfeeling. What's worse is that I'm sure I
there are a lot of deer running around out there with arrows in their butt or
worse. I avoided the gross terminology and focused on the equipment and
location scouting. I would rather not write in that genre, but it was for a
major client, and I can't pick and choose if I want to continue to earn a
living.

Paul