2010/8/8 William Robb <war...@gmail.com>:

>> I don't remember, but it would have been either P or Av, since I only use
>> those. Would it make a difference?
>
> I'm embarrassingly vague on some of this stuff, but IIRC, the cameras can be
> told to remember such things as ISO, WB, etc when the power is shut off, so
> if you have an inexplicable settings change when a battery dies, this might
> be why.

Any setting changed mechanically is remembered mechanically, such as
exposure mode, AF mode and field, SR, metering. All others are stored
in non-volatile memory even beyond a battery removal. I believe what
you're referring to, Bill, is the USER mode option which at any time
allows you to commit your current settings to memory such that they
can be invoked by setting the mode dial to USER.
Cheers
Ecke