Bill,

Thanks for the excellent explanation!  I'll definitely check out the Sky and
Telescope article.  I disagree with one statement you made, however.  I
think that lens designs can indeed be modified to improve their performance
with imaging arrays.  The retrofocus lens design, for example, is used to
allow a very short focal length lens to be attached to an SLR without
sticking into the mirror box and hitting the mirror.  I think that it should
be possible to use optical path angle as a criterion during the lens design
process.  Is it necessary?  Well, that's another question...

On a (barely) related note, has anyone used one of those "telescope
adapters" in conjunction with a Pentax telephoto lens?  Are they any good?

Thanks,

 --Mark