Here's a quick explanation of why some film SLR lenses may have problems
when used with digital SLR's.  Basically, it comes down to that angle at
which light impacts the sensing medium.  Film is sensitive to light hitting
it at an angle as well as straight on.  Rumor has it that digital imaging
arrays are less sensitive than film to light hitting at an oblique angle.

What does this mean?  If you look at a ray-tracing diagram for a telephoto
lens, the light hits the film (or imaging array) pretty close to
perpendicular all across the whole image region.  The light coming through a
wide-angle lens, however, may hit the imaging array at quite an angle near
the edge of the array.  Depending on the lens design, this can lead to
significant vignetting.

The severity of such an effect will naturally depend on the focal length and
optical formula of the lens as well as the imaging array.  I've seen some
pretty darn good images that came from Nikon D1x and Canon EOS-1D cameras
and "standard" SLR wide-angle lenses, so I don't think a blanket "throw out
your lenses" statement is warranted.

 --Mark