On 8/11/10, P. J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was once interested in taking a course in English, (Elixzbithan Period),
> History, It fulfilled a core requirement and looked interesting.  The cost
> of books on the reading list amounted to > $800.00 for used books, (this was
> in 1976!), ...

Project Gutenberg have over 30,000 free books online.
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Almost anything worth reading and old enough to be out of copyright
is likely to be there.

Not a lot of use if you're studying a field where the important books
are recent -- say computer science or even quantum physics -- but
probably great for English or history students.