Miserere wrote:
On 10 August 2010 21:35, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
I cannot believe what a rip-off textbook prices are. I get $300 from the VA
to buy textbooks & one book is $158.00 ... and that's the friggin' PAPERBACK
version!

Case Study #1: When I was studying in the UK I had to buy a Nuclear
Physics textbook. It was written by an American and published by an
American publisher, so I headed off to Amazon.com to order it, sure
that it would be a lot cheaper than in the UK. Nope, it cost exactly
DOUBLE on the US Amazon than it did on the UK branch, with shipping
costs being negligible in both cases. Given that the book had to be
imported into the UK (with the associated tax and business costs), and
in small quantities given the small number of graduate Nuclear Physics
students when compared to the US, I never understood why the
difference was so large, and never again looked for textbooks on
Amazon.com

Case Study #1: When my wife was doing her graduated school in the US,
I would routinely buy her textbooks in the UK due to their much
cheaper prices. Most of these books were written by American scholars
and published by American companies.

Like the Italians say: Boh!

  --M.

good thing you didn't major in Case Study Enumeration

Like Homer sez: d'oh!