On Aug 12, 2010, at 8:27 AM, Jack Davis wrote:

Let yourself go, Frank. You may come out the other side in a lower price range demension. 8) They are tiny, fidgety, brightly feathered, difficult targets. In open sun light, their feathers absolutely glow and their small size doesn't always influence even a spot meter. Detail in such fine feathers is elusive. Only way I've gotten decent shots of them (with my max 300mm) has been by using "trap focus."

I've gotten some decent shots with the A400/5.6 and manual focus, but only at or near the feeder.
Paul

Jack

--- On Thu, 8/12/10, frank theriault <knarftheria...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: frank theriault <knarftheria...@gmail.com>
Subject: PESO - American Goldfinch
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <PDML@pdml.net>
Date: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 4:12 AM
I'm rather obsessed with these little
guys, but they're rather hard to
get.  Small, quick, they let me get ~almost~ close
enough to shoot
with 200mm, then take off.  In several months, this is
about the best
I've gotten:

http://knarfdummyblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/american-goldfinch.html

I need longer glass, because this just isn't sharp enough
(heavily
cropped).  I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but
I need more
mm's.  300, 600, whatever.  First I need more
money.  To get that I
need a better job.

I'm getting sucked into the vortex, the black hole.

AAAAaaaarrrggghhh!

Hope you enjoy.  Comments welcome.

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."  -Henri
Cartier-Bresson

directly above and follow the directions.