2010/8/24 Bob W <p...@web-options.com>:

> incidentally I was in a shop at the weekend with my M7 on my shoulder. The
> shop assistant asked if it was an old film camera. I told him it was
> digital.
>
> 'It has a great look. Is it a Lumix?'
> 'No, it's a Leica'
> 'Never heard of them. Where is it from, I mean, which country?'
> 'Germany'
>
> Look of bemusement

Scary. Did he know where Germany is, though?
I had an encounter once with a 13 year old kid in Northern Michigan
when his mom and aunt gave me a lift in their Ford Tempo where I sat
knee deep in Doritos bags but was happy to be getting somewhere.
Francis wanted to know why I had no car and I tried to explain that,
having come from Germany, to bring my car had been impossible on
obvious grounds. The rather bemused - as you say - response was: "but
there are ferries across Lake Michigan?". At this point his mom turned
around and said: "Francis, when we get home, mommy will show you
Germany on the 'risk' board. It is another country."

OK he was only 13 and there was a familiar predisposition for
underwhelming geography skills... but still...

Cheers
Ecke