From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
Brian Walters
Sent: Tuesday, 24 August 2010 6:22 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: RE: Which pentax camera is this?

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:27 +1000, "John Coyle" <jco...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:
> Not so, Darren - sorry.  The SV (fitted with the Super-Takumar 55/1.8)
> was
> also marketed as the S3 or H3 (Honeywell Pentax, but fitted with the
> Auto-Takumar 55/1.8) and Super S2 (fitted with the Super-Takumar 55/2,
> for
> the Japanese market only), while the S1a was also known as the S2, H2, S1
> and  H1.
> Lens combinations for these latter were:
> S2/H2 - Auto-Takumar f2
> S1/H1 - Auto-Takumar f2.2
> S1a - Super-Takumar 55/2
>
> Source: Asahi Pentax Guide, Focal Press 1967
>
> John Coyle
> Brisbane, Australia

Er, I have to take issue, John.

The most distinguishing feature of the SV is the self timer, which is
located underneath and co-axial with the film rewind knob.  The
S1/S2/S3/S1a (and their equivalent 'H' designations) don't have this
feature.  The SV was called the H3v in the USA according to my
references.  The photo in Sam's original post is too small to tell which
model it is with certainty.

Pentax seems to have been pretty free and easy with the designation of
theses early models and there are lots of variations from what appears
in reference books (eg I have a couple of early (not 'Super') S2s that
go to 1/1000 sec while virtually all references state that 1/500 was the
max. speed of that model.  They also have a meter coupling slot on the
shutter speed dial which, according to references, the early S2 isn't
supposed to have.).

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Australian Native Plants Society (Australia)
http://anpsa.org.au

http://samtheeagle.smugmug.com/Other/For-Sale/Red-small-pair-with-text/OldPe
> > ntax/979910426_gYBPW-L.jpg
> >
> > Thanks!