I continue to be mystified by the official Pentax Photo Gallery and
the process of reviewing submissions.  I find that I am unable to
predict what they will like and what they will promptly reject.

The last three or four times I had submitted images, before this
month, they took a long time to review them.  Then, they would
promptly reject most, and keep one or two "under review" for another 2
weeks before rejecting those as well.

Then, I submitted 10 images two weeks ago, and they very quickly
rejected one and accepted two.   One of the ones the accepted was a
"pretty postcard" that had been previously submitted and rejected.
The other was this one:

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=1309043&subSubSection=10204520&language=EN

While I like that image, I certainly didn't think it was the strongest
I had submitted in that group, and I was shocked that it was accepted,
let alone so quickly.  Just as a test, I then posted that image here
as a PESO, and it drew only ONE comment.  I have learned here that if
a PESO gets few comments, that means most of the photographers on this
list considered it unworthy or worse, mundane.

I now have a modest little gallery of 17 images on the Pentax Photo Gallery:

I don't fool myself into thinking that is a measure of my skill as an
artist, however, since a couple are cute little fawns that wandered
into my yard and virtually forced me to take their portraits, and
several others are landscapes of beautiful places that I have been
lucky enough to visit on a nice day.  There are only a few among the
17 that are original or artistic in any sense of those terms.

In any event, one thing that bothers me is the way the size limitation
is structured.  The recommended image size is 600 pixels high. There
is no stated limit on width, however.  That means the images in
portrait orientation are much smaller -- in both the thumbnail and the
"full" size -- than images in landscape orientation or even square
images.  I think that it makes it more difficult to get a portrait
image in the gallery and worse, it makes it harder to appreciate those
in the gallery that are in portrait orientation and therefore quite
reduced in size.  Has anyone else noticed this?

In any event, I am pleased that they took 2 out of my last 10, and
that seven more are still "under review."  More than that, I have
found the process of reviewing my images and trying to pick out the
ones I think are the best candidates to be interesting and
educational.  It can be even more educational to see what the folks at
the Pentax Gallery think of them.  For example, they rejected most of
my favorite diner images, including one shot taken inside of a diner
that I think is one of my best images ever;  but, they accepted
another interior image of a diner, that I personally like but didn't
think was nearly as good as the one they rejected.  I spent almost an
hour comparing the two the other day, and finally concluded it is just
another case of "different strokes for different folks."

Dan