On Aug 26, 2010, at 11:40 PM, Brian Walters wrote:

> Well, I was going to ask but decided to Google instead.

In the bay area pretty much everybody under the age of 50, make that 60 knows
about it, most of them know somebody who has gone.  I tend to be surprised by
folks not having even heard of it.

> It sounds like a fun event.  I note that, according to Wikipedia, there
> is a ban on driving, except for approved "mutant vehicles" and that
> "Burning your own art must be done on an approved burn platform".
>
> Hmmm....
>
> Apparently clothing is optional, which should make your photos
> interesting.

With the dust, people tend to wear dust masks or bandanas, which makes Black
Rock City probably the only city where you are more likely to see a woman's
breasts than her face. :-)

I went in 2006 and that was my first time really exercising my FX20, which was
my first "decent" digital camera. I love it at night, it makes me think of what
Faerie would look like if it existed.

I just went through and grabbed a few of them, pretty much as they came out of
the camera, I didn't have anything to do post processing, other than sizing
them down, back then. You have to look for silhouettes of people to get a sense
of scale of some of the art.
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157624692491693/

I call this one "shooting the moon through the heart"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/3230249987/in/set-72157624692491693/

They played "dance" music in this sculpture pretty much continuously until they
burned it on the last night:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/3230264779/in/set-72157624692491693/

Which is why I call this one "disco inferno"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/3230261569/in/set-72157624692491693/

If you're really fascinated, there are a lot more of my shots from 2006 in this
collection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/collections/72157612996724411/