On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:46 AM, CheekyGeek <cheekyg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no experience with AF teleconverters, but have the MF Adaptall
> 2 version of both the 2x and 1.4x that I planned to use with my 52B
> 90mm f2.5 Macro SP. It will do 1:2 by itself and 1:1 with the 2x, so I
> believe that means it will do 1:1.5 with the 1.4x.
>
> The main advantage of the 1.4x (to me) is that you are losing only a
> stop of light instead of 2 stops with a 2x. Nice to have when that is
> a factor.
>
> The Sigma EX 10-20mm f4-5.6 will also cover a full 35mm frame, at
> least down to about 13mm. That probably makes it about the widest
> rectilinear you can put on a film camera.
>
> Need to carve out some time to actually USE all the stuff I've been
> accumulating. Your 1.4x to 2x image degradation comparison would be
> interesting to do.
>
> Darren Addy
> Kearney, NE

The Sigma 12-24 f4.5-5.6 remains the widest FF rectilinear in most
mounts (the other option being the Voigtlander Ultra-Wide-Heliar 12mm
f5.6 in LTM, M or F mount). There's also their new 8-16mm version for
APS-C but I doubt that covers FF at any focal length.

Best deal on a real ultra-wide for FF is the Samyang 14mm f2.8, it's
got a bunch of barrel distortion but is extremely sharp (and the
distortion is easily corrected in post). It's available in KA form and
branded as a Rokinon, Bower, Opteka, Falcon, Samyang and IIRC Vivitar
Series 1.

-Adam