From: Boris Liberman
On 8/29/2010 10:23 AM, Pasvorn Boonmark wrote:
> Do you mean like push, and pull?  I don't think labs in a drugstore do that.

Neither. I don't deal with drugstore labs or their equivalent though. What I observed (IIRC) is that once they processed the film, they pass it through the printing machine that initially does some kind of scan or prescan. I mean, they obviously don't print optically with enlarger... So this machine, when it sees that the film is over or underdeveloped, it tries to compensate. It might yield badly looking prints, but that's what I remember anyway.

Most of the one hour labs are digital hybrid and have a film scanner built into the printer. The negatives are scanned and images are basically exposed on the paper using lasers.

The controls available to the operator are pretty minimal, but the automatic operations can cope pretty well with over-exposed negatives. Under-exposed is another matter.

The machine can also print from a positive - unmounted slide film strip - but most operators would freak out. It's not that hard, just one button among many hidden down in the menus, but now-a-days most operators run totally automatic and haven't a clue what's available even from the menus.

A bigger problem lately is getting the film developed.

A lot of places are pulling the film processor and replacing it with a wide carriage ink-jet for poster size prints. It's getting so you have to send the film off to be processed, and it ain't even over-night. Even Walmart is pulling out their film processors.