Just having breakfast now.  The media reported 20 aftershocks overnight but
they are only the ones that registered enough for Geonet to list them (looks
like the cutoff is about magnitude 3).  We're still getting small tremors quite
regularly, quite a bit of variation so they might be 5 minutes apart or 15-20
minutes.

The tremors made it hard to get to sleep as the experts say that there's
usually at least one aftershock at one magnitude less, within a couple of days.
 So it's hard to sleep thinking there might be a magnitude 6 just around the
corner.  It's strange really, we got through the 7.1 really well and a 6 is
1/10th the size so my brain says I shouldn't have any reason to worry.

I thought this morning it'd be interesting to go and have a look at the fault
once I find out where it is.  Geologist on the radio now just said there was a
3.5 metre lateral displacement along the fault.  He also says it's either a new
fault or a "blind" fault where it's only just reached the surface.  So they
didn't even know about it before.  Interesting stuff.

My boss texted me this morning to say his house was pretty much ruined, he
lives in an area near the beach that saw some liquefaction.  He's going in to
the office to see what state it's in.  Not sure if the police will allow him in
as it's within the area that's cordoned off due to the potential danger from
falling masonry which is going to get worse when the wind picks up later today.

I chatted on Facebook to one of my colleagues whose house is close to the city
centre.  Their next-door neighbour had a VERY lucky escape.  He was in this bed
just seconds before this fell on it.  I've told her to send it to the press.

http://www.multi.net.nz/quake/bed.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.... I know a few of you have been here so
let me know if you have any particular place or building you want me to report
on and I'll see what I can do tomorrow.