On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 1:39 PM, mike wilson <m.9.wil...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> David J Brooks wrote:
>
>> Also have programs on the HD that i will not be able to put on a new
>> computer, so i intend to have the pld HD mapped over to the new one,
>> and possibly use the older one as a slave drive, if thats a current
>> computer term anymore.
>> Is it necessary to map everything over, or can i ask them to just map
>> over certain portions. Is it an all or nothing deal??
>>
>> Just want to go to him, or the store, armed with info so i don't look
>> like the dolt i am.
>
> Given the dates you are mentioning, your old drive may be an IDE interface -
> newer ones are SATA.  Not a problem; you just need to choose a motherboard
> that carries both interfaces.

Almost all motherboards still have 1 PATA interface intended for DVD-RW drives.

> Given that physically consructing a PC is about as complex as a fairly
> simple Meccano project, I would be tempted to save the money and build one
> myself, using the old case.  You should be able to do it for at least $100
> less than you have mentioned.  Takes some time to do the OS and driver
> install but should not take more than a week of spare time overall.  You
> learn quite a lot during the process, too.

I've priced this and you can almost always get a pre-built system
cheaper than a home-built system. It's been about a decade since
building your own was a good economic choice. The biggest reason to
build your own system is to get a specific parts selection, but you'll
pay at least 10% more that way. Used to build all my own stuff, now I
buy relatively barebones-spec HP's and upgrade RAM/HDD/Video and
sometimes CPU, saves me a fair bit over any other option.

-Adam