On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Adam Maas <a...@mawz.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM, David J Brooks <pentko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Adam Maas <a...@mawz.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> You can use the old drive as a slave, but any programs you want on the
>>> new machine will need to be reinstalled, most software cannot simply
>>> be copied over (One place where Mac's are clearly better than PC's).
>>> If you don't have install media for them, you'll be out of luck.
>>>
>>> -Adam
>>
>> When i had the HD upgraded in this machine in 2006 i think it was, i
>> mentioned to the repair person(it was a Good Guys computer place in
>> town, now out of business) is there any way i can get what is on the
>> current drive loaded to the new one. He said he could "map" the
>> contents to the new drive.
>> When i picked up the computer, the new HD was installed and all of my
>> files, programs etc were on the new drive and all worked fine.
>>
>> Dave
>
> You can do that when swapping a new drive into an existing PC since
> all the drivers installed are correct and the new drive will boot with
> the old OS install. A completely new PC really needs a fresh OS
> installation to work correctly since it'[s a different set of drivers.
>
> -Adam

Oh ok, was not aware of that. I guess it would make no sense to keep
the programs on what would be the slave drive and try and run them
from there.
Probably defeating the purpose of a new computer eh.

I still have my PS 6 disk, which i hope will work with windows 7, and
my LR disks, but not my CS2 disk. Liz had a clean out day last year
and a lot of boxes went out in the garbage. Liz never looks inside to
see if anything is in them.

Dave

--
Documenting Life in Rural Ontario.