The biggest difference in coatings is that the rear surface of the
rear lens element is coated to minimize internal reflections between
the rear element and the sensor.

Film lenses didn't have (or need) this coating, since the film
emulsion is not smoothly reflective like the glass filter covering the
sensor is.

--
David Parsons Photography
http://www.davidparsonsphoto.com