On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Right. The particular DFS frame may depend on the outside temperature. So
> yes, for perfect DFS, the procedure will have to be done every night. But
> only once for the night.

It actually depends more on the sensor temperature than the outside
temperature, and the sensor will likely warm up as it and the other
electronics are used.  I'm not sure how much that matters in practice.

What you really want to do for the best image quality is to take
multiple dark frames and average them, and use that as the basis for
dark subtraction.  If you only have a single dark frame, it will
remove the repeatable structure of the dark current, but it will
increase the true dark-current noise (the non-repeatable,
unpredictable component) by a factor of sqrt(2).  Averaging several
dark frames mitigates this effect.